About Us

My photo
After an 8 year battle with infertility and countless struggles, our family is finally complete. This blog chronicles the journey it took for us to start and build the family we always wanted. Background on the blog (started in 2012, just days before I found out the embryo transfer for our son worked).... I decided to start a blog after realizing I have only been able to make it through my TWW's (two week waits) with the help of Google and with the openness of other women suffering from infertility sharing their own stories and giving others hope. I have time and time again found my exact symptoms on other women's blogs and felt an overwhelming sense of calmness they provided me. I thought it was time to pay it forward and hopefully provide this same thing to other women on their own journeys.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

11w4d - When does the 2nd tri start?


I am so confused.  So many different sites say so many different things about the baby and about my pregnancy.  For instance,  thebump.com says my baby is the size of a lime this week whereas babycenter.com says my baby is the size of lime NEXT week.  Some say my baby was now a fetus as of last week, some say this week, and some even say next week.   My biggest question is, when am I in my second trimester?

I know there are two main ways of calculating this.  By Development and by Gestation.   I tend to lean towards development more.  Not just because it says I'm in my second trimester sooner, but because it makes more sense.

Trimesters by Development
Refers to the 40-week pregnancy period, divided into three major development milestones. The first trimester is approx 12 weeks encompassing embryo and major structural development. The second is the fetal growth stage. The third starts at approximately 26 weeks when the fetus has matured to a level where viability outside the womb is possible.

Trimesters by Gestation
Often used by doctors, refers to the entire 40-week pregnancy period, including 2 weeks of preconception measured from the beginning of the last menstrual period. The 40-week period is divided into three equal stages.

So as you can see, trimesters by development is more logical.  It's broken down into actual phases not just the whole pregnancy divided equally into 3 parts with no regard to actual developmental stages.

That that being said.  According to http://www.ivf.ca/fet5dayduedate.php (and entering January 12) I am in my second trimester starting today based on developmental stages!   Although other websites that have similar calculators (and also show Development and Gestation dates) say I am officially in my second trimester as of Saturday.  Which would make more sense since I'll be 12w0d on Saturday!

http://www.ivf.ca/fet5dayduedate.php (and entering January 12)


http://www.baby2see.com/trimester_calculator.html (and entering December 24 for LMP)




No comments:

Post a Comment